Author: White, Linda B.|Foster, Steven
Publisher: St. Martin's Press
Year Published: 2000
Subcategory: Medical / Pharmacy
Condition Rating: Slight wear, may have creased spine, folded pages, good-condition ownership stickers
Summary: By one estimate, Americans are spending upward of $3 billion a year on herbs and herb products. More and more people are turning to herbal medicine for solutions to their health concerns because they believe that herbs are gentler, safer, and more affordable than pharmaceuticals.
Yet how can they be sure of what really works and what is right for them? Despite the glut of information on herbs, these remedies have rarely been compared objectively with drugs. That's just what consumers need, so they can rest assured that the decisions they make will help them get well-- not harm them.
"The Herbal Drugstore" sifts through all the studies, facts, and opinions to provide objective, concise profiles of more than 280 drugs and drug categories, along with their herbal alternatives. For each health problem, you can weigh the functions and side effects of the most common pharmaceutical treatments against the benefits and cautions of the best-known herbal remedies. You also get:
* Accurate dosage instructions for using herbs safely and effectively
* Essential information about potential herb-drug and herb-herb interactions
* A comprehensive chart that lists drugs and their herbal alternatives side by side for easy reference
* In-depth profiles of nearly 60 herbs, with explanations of herb sources, uses, and safety issues
* A shopper's guide for choosing among various herb forms and brands
* Detailed instructions-- for making your own herbal remedies
* A resource directory-- of herbal products, practitioners, and publications
Whether you're a newcomer to herbal medicine or you've been using herbs for years, "The Herbal Drugstore" arms you with clear, concise, impartial information that puts you in control of your health. Now you can feel confident that when choosing between herbal and pharmaceutical therapies, you have the power of "The Herbal Drugstore" behind you.
In Store Location: Bookcase 38 - Health,