Author: Golant, Mitch|Golant, Susan K.
Publisher: Holt Paperbacks
Year Published: 1998
Condition Rating: Like new, no creases, no spine breakage
This book is directed toward the caregiver or "strengthened ally" of any of the more than seventeen million Americans who suffer from this common but often misunderstood affliction. Woven throughout are the personal experiences of Mitch Golant, who spent most of his childhood with a mother who was seriously depressed, an experience that not only catapulted him into his work as a clinical psychologist, but also informs this book with a tone of compassionate understanding.
Among the many subjects addressed are:
* the warning signs of serious illness
* how to distinguish between real depression and a normal case of the blues
* how to comfort a depressed person
* how to maintain intimacy and communication
* how to deal with the mental health community
* the most successful forms of treatment
* specific things to do and say that will help
* what to do when someone threatens suicide
In Store Location: Bookcase 38 - Health,